2017 CONTEST SUBMISSION DEADLINE: MARCH 31, 2017
City Theatre wants to read your play!
Enter your script by March 31, 2017 and make your voice heard. Selected playwrights will develop their scripts in collaboration with professional theatre artists — a director, dramaturgs, and actors — for productions in City Theatre’s Hamburg Studio Theatre during the 2017 Young Playwrights Festival.
Ready? Submit your play now!
What you need to know:
• Contest is open to Western PA and Northern WV residents in grades 7-12.
- Original, one-act plays only. No screenplays, musicals, or adaptations.
- You may submit more than one play of any subject.
- Collaborations by up to two playwrights will be accepted.
- Scripts must be in Standard American Format Style.
Download style guide >
- City Theatre encourages inclusion of all students and will accept submissions in selected alternative formats to accommodate students with disabilities.
- You must submit one electronic copy of your play. Please keep an electronic file on backup!
- Scripts must be typed, pages must be numbered, and playwright’s name should be present on first page of script.
- Scripts must be submitted by the playwright(s); not by a teacher or parent.
Each play submitted will be read by theatre professionals, and each playwright will receive a written evaluation of their script. (Note: The response process takes many months; you may not receive your evaluation until late summer/early fall.)
Scripts that do not meet the above submission guidelines will not be considered. Teachers considering this as an assignment should email City Theatre to ensure that school assignments will be accepted as entries.
CITY THEATRE YOUNG PLAYWRIGHTS CONTEST SUBMISSION FORM
Before you submit, check that your play is written in STANDARD AMERICAN FORMAT to make it easy for your readers to understand your play. The style guide is available here, or you can ask your teacher for a copy.
NOTE: If your play is a collaboration, each playwright must submit this form.
Break a leg!